In order to ensure all students have access to technology on the same platform, all District 207 students are issued a district-owned and managed Chromebook. Students are expected to have and use their school-issued Chromebook on a daily basis in school. There is no fee for the Chromebook, no charge for maintenance and most repairs are completed at no cost to the student (see below for exceptions). Our Chromebook management system allows the district to quickly and efficiently make changes to software and device settings ensuring all students have access to required instructional resources including specialized assessment programs that are only available on the Chromebook platform.
District 207 operates a Chromebook service center in each school, called the ChromeDepot, to support and maintain a fleet of Chromebooks for all students. Students are strongly discouraged from bringing their personal computer to school because not all instructional resources are supported and so their personal device is not lost, damaged or stolen at school. Further, District 207 technicians can only support district-owned devices including configuration changes, access to the school WiFi, maintenance and repairs. Below are key elements of the District 207 Chromebook Program. Please contact the ChromeDepot in your school (East | South | West) if you have problems with your Chromebook or have questions about the program.
- Students are expected to have their school issued Chromebook at school every day.
- Students are expected to maintain their Chromebook in good repair.
- Students are expected to visit the ChromeDepot as soon as possible if their school issued Chromebook is damaged, lost or stolen.
Chromebook Loaner Programs
- Daily Loaners: As a courtesy, students may check out a Chromebook for use at school during the school day if they forget to bring their school issued Chromebook. Students may check out a loaner up to three times per month. Daily loaners must remain in school and be returned by 3:30 the same day they were checked out. Daily loaners not returned by the end of the school day will be disabled after 3:30 pm and count as two check out days. Students are not allowed to check out more than one daily loaner at a time.
- Long-Term Loaners: a student will be temporarily assigned a Chromebook to use at school and home as long as needed while their school-issued Chromebook is being evaluated or repaired.
Chromebook Repairs and Fees
- There are no student fees for maintenance or Chromebook repairs due to normal use, wear and manufacturer's defects.
- Accidental damage to a district owned Chromebook will be repaired at no cost to the student in most cases. Students need to report the damage to the ChromeDepot and bring it in for a free evaluation. District 207 may assess a repair fee in the following situations:
- Damage is due to willful neglect, misuse, or intentional damage
- Damage due to fire, floods or biological hazards
- Repair fees, when applicable, are determined by the cost of the replacement part(s), there are no mark-ups, sales tax or fees for labor.
- If a Chromebook is lost or stolen, the student is responsible for the replacement cost of the device.